Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I found my chair!

I have been worried about finding a rocking chair for my nursery that I like for a good price. Because if you recall the chair I wanted I could only find at Pottery Barn and would cost around $1500 - $1800. JcPenny had upholstered chairs that were really cute but all the reviews said they were made for people shorter than 5'7.. considering I'm 5'9 and Stephen is 6 foot their $500 chairs would be uncomfortable to use and a waste of money. I don't like the gliders they have at Babies R' Us... sooooooo my hamster wheels started to spin.

First thought- I could get a comfortable club chair from craigslist, spend $170 on the hardware to convert it to a rocking chair and then upholster it. So, for $400 - $600 I could get a chair I really love. Realistically, it would be closer to the $600 end which is more than I'd like to spend.


So, I hopped on Craigslist to see what was out there and I found this chair for $100 in Frisco. EDIT: I wanted to edit my post to mention how awesome my friend Megan is. She went with me to Frisco and carried the chair down a flight of chairs. (I had no idea stairs were involved!). I couldn't have done it with out her- thanks Megan!


Not only is the shape and style beautiful, it already rocks and swivels! So now I don't have to worry about attaching hardware to make it rock.

As much as I like the pink and yellow toile, we are going to reupholster it something gender neutral. Then, when baby gets here I can add a toile pillow that is pink or blue.

As much as I'd like an ottoman, I can live w/o one for the time being. Worse case, I'll get a cheap one somewhere and make a slip cover.. or something. I'll cross that bridge when we get there.



The hardest part is deciding the color and pipping to reupholster. Ideally, I would like a cream color fabric, but I know having a baby + cream fabric = stains. But the other color option I have is gray, but that is just too much gray in the room. I really, really, want cream.

At first I thought I would like cream with gray pipping and gray buttons, but I'm not too keen on the chairs I'm finding online that fit that description. I don't know if its because most of the chairs are white and not cream... or if its because the style of chair is so totally different from mine... its hard to get a mental image.  This is what I've found so far:





Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment