Sunday, June 26, 2011

Baby's Room- Details!

I'd like to preface that I have saved TONS of inspiration pictures but I didn't think I would create a blog, so I didn't save the web address. If I run across these photos again, I will do my best to credit the owner.

These are just some neat ideas that will depend on time, space, and my patience level =o)


Baby's Name:
I'd like to have letters in the room but Barrett and Elizabeth are really long names to decoupage (if you don't know what that is, see picture on the right- you use wooden/cardboard letters and paper/scrapbook paper) both sets. Since we aren't finding out gender, I figured I will get both names ready to hang and the one we don't use I will just put back. I would decoupage them with the appropriate gender specific colors











 I have a couple of options but one thing I *love* is this bright frame with one letter in it:
I could do something similar but paint the frame teal or turquoise (my mother's least favorite colors- haha) because I think it would work for both a girls and boys room. Or, I could paint the frame antique/chipped white.

Now, I could leave it with just the one letter... but I was thinking it would be really neat to have the first letter large and framed and follow it with smaller letters. In my head, I'm thinking the large letter would be decoupaged pink or blue but the remaining letters would be one solid color- black or gray? but with colored ribbon? I dunno, this is one of those things I will decide once I have the letters in front of me and paint on the walls =o)

I just know I want either the baby's name or initials in the room.


Here are some other variations I really like:

This would be the most tasteful thing I could do- and *love, love, love* the shelves. I definitely want floating shelves in the room












This one is kinda quirky but really awesome:






I really like this, too. We don't have molding in the room, we are just painting the large stripe (even though Stephen is convinced it won't look good with our textured walls- whatever)... I was thinking I could use a painted MDF board and add the molding around the edges, or just paint stripes to look like molding. I think it would be striking to break up the color/stripe and texture.






Hanging book display:
I really want to do this and depending on the space I might do two. They seem really easy, and cheap, to put together- here is the tutorial. 
Its hard to tell with this particular picture but its just cloth on dowel rods that holds books.













This kind uses straps... not sure which I like better. If I used the straps, I would paint the dowel rod:


Then, the fabric I use on the hanging book display I could use with these:



I think this is a neat way to add more color to my gray, "gloomy" room and they are super cheap to put together.

Window Treatments:
Since there is a small window in the nursery, I think I will make an over sized valance with curtains that go down to the floor to make the window look bigger than it actually is. I really like how this valence provides a pop of color but is very sleek.

Oh, I just noticed they used the embroidery loop circles here, too! Super cute.






Hokey-pokey
This is the strangest thing I found but its so quirky, I couldn't resist!
I found this at All Things Thrifty and I know that I was drawn to it mainly because of the awesome owl, but oh the possibilities!
I could make two and do one Snoopy and the other Woodstock.... or just the one. The only issue would be to find old windows like those shown. If I really wanted to, I could probably get new windows and make them look dilapidated... we shall see! This is one I probably won't do because of time and all the other things I'd like to do to the room... but we shall see 



Those are all the ideas I have right now for the baby room! What I find amusing is most of the gray rooms I find use bright yellow or orange as their accent color (hence, all the pictures above that use yellow)... and those are my two LEAST favorite colors.


Side note: I'm laying on my tummy while typing this up and all I can feel is the baby rolling around- it feels so strange =oP

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE the book display! I hope you keep this blog up when I have my babies cuz I love almost every single thing you put on here for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think to avoid irritating friends and family on facebook, I will keep this blog up and running after baby is born =o)
    I am debating making a separate blog for all the DIY home things we do as well because I was looking at the pictures of our house the day we bought it and it has come a LONG way.

    ReplyDelete